Friday, April 1, 2011

Recovery Log

Stardate 20110401, and no joke:

Following Friday's Computrainer session, I started to become ill from acid reflux. Although I managed it well and the symptoms were milder, the condition and attendant discomfort lasted across the weekend and even led me to play hooky from a strenuous CT session Tuesday, opting instead for the casual downtown loop on my bike. I felt sufficiently better yesterday to attend my CT session.
Session Description: Five 7.5 minute efforts consisting of 2.5 minute intervals, with 6 minutes easy riding between them. The intervals were to be at FTP, 110% of FTP, and 120% of FTP. A slight upgrade for the first half was matched by a slight downgrade in the second. I chose to work with a hypothetical base FTP of 130, 10 watts above my current ERG video FTP.
It didn't go well at first, but I kept refocusing my attention on my breathing, over and over again. What an airhead I am! Heh heh. And finally the breathing and pedaling synched somewhere in the 29th minute, and I was flying again. 22 mph using only 109 watts. I was able to keep this up, on and off, for the rest of the session, although my legs began to grow tired at the end.

In consequence of these two experiences, I have narrowed my cycling goal for this summer. That is to be able to achieve that 'synch' state at will, outside as well as on the trainer, and maintain it for as many miles as possible.

Laura conjectured that over-reaching in the CT session on Friday might bear some responsibility for the acid attack across the weekend. I'd like to think not, but I guess I will find out tomorrow or so if the situation recurs. As for my own theory, well, forgive the old line, but I think it must have been something I ate. I need to log my intake so I can look back to identify triggers, as I have no memory for this kind of thing. Did I eat something not recommended Friday night because I was feeling so much better? Can't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment