Friday, April 1, 2011

Eye on Comics

My brother Bruce would have loved this: 

When my last eyeglasses proved visually disappointing in consequence of poor crafting, my opthmalogist sent me to optician Paige Buscema in Leesburg. I studied the name on the business card for a long time, racking my brain to remember when in my life I had encountered it before. It was not until I saw a signed photo of Spiderman behind the cash register that it clicked. "Sal Buscema?" I asked. "The Marvel artist?" 

Yes, indeed, Sal Buscema is her father-in-law, and lives in the DC metro area. Sal had a ten year run with The Incredible Hulk, among many other Marvel assignments, and continues to ink for them to this day. His older brother John is famous for his work on The Silver Surfer.

Sal penciled this illustration for the first of the 2009 Spectacular Spider-girl series.


No comments:

Post a Comment