Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Last Session, Take I

Some cyclists in my Computrainer sessions had reservations about the ERG video technology HPC installed, but seem to have accepted it as another means of training. I enjoy the videos. Hey, high-definition training! And I enjoy not being stressed by competing with other cyclists. I enjoy the system's performance cues. I feel exceptionally well used when I'm done with an ERG video workout.

Today, I'd heard we were to climb the Hautacam, which ERG released in September 2010. Here's the ERG description of the one hour and twenty-one minute climb :
The Hautacam is one of the Pyrenean climbs always used as a stage finish in the Tour de France. It isn't the longest, steepest, nor the hardest climb you'll find, but being a stage finish means the contenders to win the Tour decide to go "all in" with devastating and decisive attacks, pressed all the way to the top to gain time on all others. It's no different here when the gents from Southwest Bike Academy, the Cycleryand 9to5 Pro have a crack at it. They provide a thrilling "warm-up" for you in the river gorge leading into Argeles-Gazost, before engaging a competitive local group of hard-men on the lower slopes of this climb. They attack "SouthWest style", over and over again, until only one worthy opponent is left to contest the final sprint against two of our SouthWest heroes. This isn't a steady ride at threshold, it's action-packed and not for the faint of heart. 
I was almost late arriving in class, as I decided 5 minutes of quick chain maintenance would be worth 15 minutes of warm-up. I felt good about the challenge. But I felt a little queasy and didn't eat. I finally snagged a sample piece of  raisin bread next door at Great Harvest and munched it as I climbed into the saddle.

I kept reiterating the breathing mantra: 'Relax. Breathe. Do nothing extra.' I continue to be amazed at how regular and rhythmic my breathing is becoming in everyday circumstances, not just on the bike. It seems as if I haven't really been breathing properly since I picked up my first cigarette in 1970. I can feel it energizing me, too. I stand taller and straighter, my shoulders square. Amazing.

I brought my own music today. I pulled up a new age shuffle on my ipod, because I wanted to relax into the ride. I didn't need the jangle of rock today. I listened instead to Paul Winter, Enya, Tambourine Dream. And I put my feet to pedaling. I warmed up with full honest one minute one legged intervals, and spun some kinks out of the muscles.

My FTP was still set low, accommodating my illness of the last few weeks. After twenty minutes, I raised it 5 watts, and again twice more, finishing at 135. And I kept my feet spinning circles, no more than 5% mashing in all that time, unless I'm fooling myself. After seventeen minutes, a 3-minute reduction since last time, my breathing began to agree with my spinning. It got even better at about 50 minutes. And after that - well, mostly it was easy. I consumed two of the Gas-X strips I've found useful during hard exercise like this. I was surprisingly not thirsty, and had to remind myself to drink. I had no nutrition with me; it all seems to upset my stomach these days.

I feel great. I'm going to try it again tomorrow, starting with a Threshold Power of 130.

No comments:

Post a Comment