Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cycling | Health progress report

My BMI is now in the middle of the normal range. My weight is somewhat stable about 5 pounds higher than I'd like it, and 19 pounds less than my highest weight in 2010.

My acid issues are somewhat managed, and, in the hellish first quarter in which they manifested, I was forced to learn more efficient breathing techniques and refine my pedal stroke such that I was bouncing or churning or mashing as little as I could. Therefore I'm riding fairly fast and strong in recovery. Generally, my gut continues to be sensitive. I take Prilosec at least once a day. I want to ask the doctor for something else, but feel I should give up coffee completely before doing so. I just dread the minor withdrawal, and I'll miss my morning cafĂ© au lait. Spoiled child, and it's an old habit. I must remember by new mantra: HTFU.

I proved to myself in a Computrainer session yesterday, following Sunday and Monday rides, that I am well enough now to ride strong on consecutive days. I proved to myself on the Sunday and Monday rides that the experience I was having of synchronizing my spinning and breathing worked just as well outdoors, after about 40 minutes of warm-up. My associated goals will continue to include
    Free Clipart Images
  • reducing this process to autonomic status, 
  • reducing the warm-up duration before the synchronization kicks in, 
  • increasing the duration of synchronized intervals. 
In addition, I plan to concentrate on developing a comfort level for climbing various kinds of hills, and begin to pick up my ride mileage, which I've tried to keep below 40 miles while my health has been tender.

The elephant in the room is nutrition. I'll get back to that. Oh, and stress management. Both key to my ... success.

No comments:

Post a Comment