Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Second Happiness

...yesterday arose from my decision to visit Meadowlark Botanical Gardens to renew our annual family membership and see what was going on. Although it began sunny and became overcast, and a chill was in the air at 45 Fahrenheit degrees, it was a lovely outing. Everything smelled so good, and all kinds of little green things were waking up, some already turning blossoms to the sun. I was able to ignore the traffic noise from the Toll Road, and in places, I didn't have to. I strolled around the interior perimeter and found new delights I hadn't seen or that hadn't been there before.

This blossom surprised me, not that I have any idea about matters horticultural. But it looks like a summer flower. It was hanging with its face down; I had to hold it up to photograph it. A sign identified it as Helleborus X Kingston Cardinale. It's a hardy shade hybrid that I might like to add to my own garden. I love that dusky raspberry color. 

Hackberry sapling - Edgar Allan Poe
Apparently, Meadowlark has planted a grove of historic saplings high on a hill in the northern part of the park. I found nothing about it online.  (This program may be where the trees came from.) This is the Edgar Allan Poe sapling, a descendant of a hackberry (Ulmaceae; Celtis occidentalis, grows to 80 tall and 50' wide) in the Enchanted Gardens at the Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia.

All the birds must have been in a good mood. Certainly, they were quite tame, and several chose to interact with me to one degree or another. This mallard was fishing; I spotted him from way on top of a hill in the woods, and determined to get his photo. At first, I thought it was not to be, as the vantages I sought did not work, and at last I gave up and started to walk across the bridge under which he was fishing. But a robin caught my eye, so I stopped to see what he was up to. He seemed to hop just as I snapped, every time, and then flew off.

But the duck swam under the bridge to fish nearby. I think I know why they call them ducks! I have several tail-up photos of the little fellow. At last, he was done fishing.



As I rounded the swamp lagoon, a pair of swimming geese noticed me and decided to investigate. I hung my camera bag on a post and sat down quietly on a chair as the approached. They did not seem too disappointed when I explained that I had nothing to eat. The gander wandered off to peck at the pathway, while the goose preened on the bank just a few feet away from me. 

I decided to walk the spiral walk up the barrow. (Well, that's what I call it; allow me my fancy.) It's a clear hill with a spiral walk around it, and provides a lovely view of the ponds at the center of the Gardens. As I started round the spiral, a bright flash of color in a faraway magnolia aught my eye. The blessed bird sat high up, and didn't move while I changed to a telephoto lens. I wish I could have got it clearer than this, but I was very pleased to get it at all.
What garden could be complete without playspace? Three little girls amused themselves while their mothers (and I) fussed about with cameras. A seating area nearby provides twig tables and chairs for outdoor tea parties. The area has been furnished with lots of clever armatures for growing topiary across the summer.

There were sculptures I hadn't seen in the north area, too. This rhinoceros was splendid, and looked at home in a savannah-looking flower bed. I found no information on this handsome pair, either. Sandstone, wouldn't you say?

Another surprise! A pavilion has been constructed for the new Korean Bell Garden. Funded by the Korean American Cultural Committee (KACC) and the Republic of Korea, this million dollar Garden will consist of stone terracing and stairs, Korean trees, a meandering path with various reflection stations, and the highlight, the Bell Pavilion and Bell.  Last June marked the 60th anniversary of the end of the Korean War, and the garden commemorates that peace (Vienna Connection). "It will be the only garden of its type in a public garden in North America,” Garden manager Keith Tomlinson said, “It is so unique and horticulturally significant." This signature site will be a lot of fun to keep an eye on as it is developed. I can't wait to see the Bell.
 





Resources
NVRPA, Meadowlark Botanical Gardens (official site)
My Flickr set for this post

Wikipedia, Meadowlark Botanical Gardens



No comments:

Post a Comment